Sunday, February 21, 2016

"How to Tame a Wild Tongue"

One of the research components I chose to use for my Project 1 was Gloria Anzaldua’s How to Tame a Wild Tongue essay. The reason I chose this scholarly source is because she goes into great detail about the deviations of her language and explains that although they may vary in dialects, they are not incorrect. She states “We speak a patios, a forked tongue, a variation of two languages”. I also really like the way she defines linguistic identity. Ethnicity and Language should be considered the same because our roots are buried in our language. I have always loved growing up in northern New Mexico and all the language and culture that comes with it. If someone talks badly about my my language, it is offensive to me because you are not only hurting me, but you are hurting the people that surround you.

No comments:

Post a Comment